As the holidays approach, thieves are afforded ample opportunities to steal money, valuables and our holiday spirit. We are busy and less alert to the tricks used and thieves take advantage of the abundant treasures we may fail to secure. Plan now to enhance your safety this holiday shopping season.
Safety While Shopping
The St Louis Police Department has a list of tips to help shoppers stay safe, including:
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible. If you do, be extra cautious as these are prime targets for thieves in shopping areas.
- Carry only the cash, credit cards and ID you’ll need for that trip. Your front pocket is the safest place.
- Even though you are busy thinking of gifts to buy, food to prepare, cards to send, and so much more, be aware of your surroundings and your belongings.
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible.
- Keep a record of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home, and the credit card company phone numbers.
- Keep purchased items locked out of sight in your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle locked while you drive and don’t get out of your vehicle if anyone is loitering nearby.
- Awareness to your surroundings is critical and if you have any hesitation about a situation, follow your instincts, get away and call police for help.
Safety at Home
- Be alert to scams and ways intruders may try to trick you to open the door and so they can get inside.
- Never open the door if you are not certain about the person on the other side.
- Keep your doors and windows locked and security systems armed.
- Keep your purse, wallet and other valuables in a place away from your entry door. Crooks have been known to enter homes to snatch purses that are commonly left by the door.