When our local monitoring station received an alert that a St. Louis home was reporting higher than normal carbon monoxide levels, we immediately stepped into action. carbon monoxide poisoning can be just as deadly as fire, so we didn’t hesitate calling the family in the middle of the night. We managed to wake an exhausted wife that had been caring for a husband who had recently undergone surgery. Although the family was exhausted, we were able to convince the family to open a few windows and contact their local fire department immediately. The family called us back that night to thank us for saving their lives. The wife explained that the fire department found dangerous levels of carbon monoxide inside the home, and that they might not be alive today if it wasn’t for Butler Durrell.
What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, and in large quantities can cause illness and death. Some symptoms to watch for are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Babies, the elderly, and people with chronic diseases such as heart disease, anemia or respiratory illness are usually the first ones in the family to show signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Look for flu-like symptoms not accompanied by a fever.
Sources for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Gas, oil, or coal burning heating systems or water heaters
- Gas-Powered generators
- Indoor charcoal or wood burning grills
- Propane stoves or heaters
- Motor Vehicles or Boats
How Can I prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
The best way to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning is to have a detector with back-up battery power connected to a monitoring station. If carbon monoxide poisoning hits in the middle of the night, your family may never have a chance to recognize the danger. A monitored system helps ensure responders will be sent to your rescue. Having a qualified technician service your heating system, as well as any other appliances that use gas, oil, or coal, is another great way to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning. NEVER use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or propane heater inside your home. Don’t run a car or truck in the garage. Make sure that all gas stoves and fireplaces are properly vented.
People often dismiss carbon monoxide alarms, because they cannot see, smell, or feel anything out of the ordinary, especially in the middle of the night. Butler Durrell is the best alarm company in St. Louis, because we care about the safety of your family, your neighborhood, and our city as much as you do. Follow us on Facebook for more safety tips and security advice.