With so many choices on the market it’s hard to decide how to pick a Home Security System. There are professional Home Security Systems on the market, and do-it-yourself models. It’s important to choose a system that meets the unique needs of your home. The following questions can help you determine the route you should take:
- Do I have multiple doors and windows?
- Do I want to be notified on my mobile device if there is an intrusion?
- Do I want to be able to lock and unlock my doors from anywhere at anytime via my mobile device or smart phone?
- Do I want to purchase my system outright or pay a monthly fee?
- Do I want my system monitored so that an alarm will notify the authorities?
- Do I want video surveillance? If so, do I want cameras set up inside and outside my residence?
- Do I prefer a national company or a local alarm company?
- Do I have a landline or do I need a cellular connected alarm?
- Do I need additional features such as temperature sensors, motion sensors, or flood sensors?
- Do I want the added advantage of Home Automation along with my Security System?
Most national and local alarm companies use very similar equipment, so the choice you make really depends on your budget and the needs of your home. It’s important to keep in mind that most homeowners insurance will offer a discount if you install an alarm system. This discount can help offset the costs of the system down the road.
Home Security Company Reviews
Before you make a choice on alarm system providers, it’s important to do your research. Whether reading online reviews or asking friends and relatives which company or works best for them, it’s always a great idea to know how other customers feel about the system they chose and the service they received.
Don’t Fall for Scams
There are a few things to be wary of. It’s a good idea to steer clear of security companies that want to sell you an extensive package without reviewing your options first. Also, most reputable home security companies don’t send around door-to-door salesmen. Be cautious of these visitors as they may be casing out your home for a future break-in.
False alarms have become commonplace, and several cities and counties now charge a fee for repeated false alarms. A good Home Security Company will show you how to prevent false alarms as well as accurately arm and disarm your system. The right company will also offer a free estimate based on your unique needs and budget.
And remember, there is no free system. For more information on why you should be wary of “free” systems, check out our blog.