School is winding down and many of us are looking forward to the plans we’ve made for summer break. Heading out of town on vacation or a long weekend at the lake?
Take steps now to keep your property safe while you are enjoying your vacation. Avoid returning to headaches bigger than that pile of post-vacation laundry.
Keep up appearances that you are home
- Get your mail and newspaper stopped so they don’t pile up
- Put lights and a radio on a timer
- Put garbage cans behind the house after pick up
Ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your home and:
- Remove flyers, phone books or other deliveries that may arrive
- Call police if someone is at your home (outside of a pet sitter or other person who belongs there)
Before you leave
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked. Many people have a window or two that stay unlocked because they just never think to check it, but a thief sure will.
- The Learning Channel says up to 50% of burglaries are done with a key. Don’t hide a key outdoors in a “protected spot” – burglars know all the hiding spots
- Install outdoor lights with motion sensors
We want to trust our friends on Facebook, but chances are many of them are acquaintances. How well can you trust every one of them? Wait to share your vacation photos and stories on social until you return or you’ll be announcing to all of them, “My house is empty and I won’t be back for days”
Crooks are lazy (otherwise they’d have gainful employment). They don’t want to work hard or take unnecessary risks of being caught, so they seek to take advantage of easy opportunities to steal from you. Make your home a tough target with the steps above and with home security solutions from Butler Durrell Security. We install video surveillance cameras, security systems and technology that provides interactive monitoring using your smartphone.
Contact us to schedule an in home security consultation and estimate.