June was a busy month for burglars in St. Louis County. Each of the green dots in the below map represents a burglary in St. Louis County from June 1, 2014 to June 30, 2014.
The Neighborhood Scout listed St. Louis as the 12th most dangerous U.S. city in 2014. But as you can see from the above map, you don’t have to live in downtown St. Louis to feel the sting of crime. The National Crime Prevention Council lists a variety of techniques for keeping your home and neighborhood safe from crime.
Crime Prevention Tips
- Get to Know Your Neighbors – Getting to know your neighbors is a great way to strengthen your community. The NCPC also recommends starting a neighborhood watch.
- Trick Burglars – Burglars target empty homes, so trick burglars into thinking someone is home. Leave on a light and television or radio.
- Protect Your Home – Secure sliding doors and windows, add door stops to entrances that are not used frequently, and never leave a spare key out.
- Prepare Before Vacation – Have mail held at the post office, ask friends to keep an eye on your home, and set automatic lights to turn on and off at appropriate times.
- Keep Your Doors and Windows Locked – More that 40% of break-ins occur without the use of force.
- Install a Residential Security System – Homes without alarm systems are 3 times more likely to be burglarized than homes without alarm systems
If you would like to learn more about protecting your home from break-in and burglary, contact us today and one of the experts at Butler Durrell Security will follow up with you directly!